The Department of Primary Industries and Regions (PIRSA) protects the fishing and aquaculture industries from aquatic diseases with:
- disease prevention
- livestock movement restrictions
- disease surveillance
- disease outbreak preparation.
Identifying significant aquatic animal diseases
Anyone can help protect our valuable fisheries and aquaculture sectors by learning what signs of disease to look for.
The Aquatic Animal Diseases Significant to Australia: Identification Field Guide will help you to identify significant aquatic diseases in:
- commercial fishers
- aquaculture workers
- recreational fishers
- quarantine staff
- Abalone viral ganglioneuritis / AVG (exotic)
- Pacific oyster mortality syndrome (POMS)
- Perkinsus olseni (endemic)
- White Spot Disease (WSD).
South Australian notifiable diseases list () extracted from the South Australian Government Gazette No.46.