Crop and pasture reports
Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) publishes a report on the condition of Crops and Pastures in South Australia every second month. During the cropping season estimates of the area and production for each crop and district are also provided with the report. The report is assembled by regionally based consultants. Visit Rural Solutions SA.
The estimates are quality checked from a number of sources. Occasionally adjustments are made. The table in the current report has the updated estimates which may vary slightly from tables in previous year's reports on this site.
- Generally good opening rains in the first week of May of between 15-30 mm except parts of the Murray Mallee and upper north where lighter rain (<10mm) fell.
- Prior to the rains, most districts had commenced dry seeding or seeding in marginally moist soils.
- Seeding is fully underway across the State after the opening.
- Seeding in the drier parts is continuing in marginal soil moisture and may stop if conditions become too dry.
- A follow-up rain is needed to consolidate the start, especially in the areas with lighter opening rain.
- Total crop area not expected to change, but pulses, e.g. lentil area will increase with small reduction in the wheat and barley area.
Crop reporting districts map
Crop estimates for a season are provided commencing with the Seeding and Crop Establishment Report. Estimates are based on the districts defined in the following map.
2016-17 season report
2015-16 season report
2015-16 Summary and Final Estimates ()
2015-16 Harvest Summary ()
2015-16 Spring Crop Performance ()
2015-16 Winter Crop Performance ()
2015-16 Crop and Pasture Report - Seeding Intentions and Crop Establishment ()
2015-16 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
2014-15 season reports
2014-15 Crop performance summary and final crop estimates ()
2014-15 Harvest Summary ( or )
2014-15 Spring Crop Performance ()
2014-15 Winter Crop Performance ()
2014-15 Crop Establishment ()
2014-15 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
See more agricultural reports and newsletters.
For historical reports contact:
Grains Account Manager, Agriculture Food and Wine Division
Phone: 8429 0472
Mobile: 0409 289 107