Crop and pasture reports
Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) publishes a report on the condition of Crops and Pastures in South Australia every second month. During the cropping season estimates of the area and production for each crop and district are also provided with the report. The report is assembled by regionally based consultants. Visit Rural Solutions SA.
The estimates are quality checked from a number of sources. Occasionally adjustments are made. The table in the current report has the updated estimates which may vary slightly from tables in previous year's reports on this site.
- The state has received good rains since the mid-May opening.
- Seeding was mostly completed by mid-June.
- Crop establishment this year was challenging with strong winds causing soil erosion and crop damage.
- Russian Wheat aphid was detected first in May, has been surveyed over wide areas of SA into Victoria, so is now regarded endemic. Most crops have low numbers. While farmers have control options, the impact on crops as season progresses is unknown.
- Total crop area has not changed overall at 3.9 million ha, but the lentil area has increase significantly.
- Most other crops have not changed significantly overall, except that the barley crop is the smallest area sown for many years.
- Good soil moisture levels provide confidence in the estimated 7.2 million tonnes production.
Crop reporting districts map
Crop estimates for a season are provided commencing with the Seeding and Crop Establishment Report. Estimates are based on the districts defined in the following map.
2016-17 season report
2015-16 season report
2015-16 Summary and Final Estimates ()
2015-16 Harvest Summary ()
2015-16 Spring Crop Performance ()
2015-16 Winter Crop Performance ()
2015-16 Crop and Pasture Report - Seeding Intentions and Crop Establishment ()
2015-16 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
2014-15 season reports
2014-15 Crop performance summary and final crop estimates ()
2014-15 Harvest Summary ( or )
2014-15 Spring Crop Performance ()
2014-15 Winter Crop Performance ()
2014-15 Crop Establishment ()
2014-15 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
See more agricultural reports and newsletters.
For historical reports contact:
Grains Account Manager, Agriculture Food and Wine Division
Phone: 8429 0472
Mobile: 0409 289 107