Crop and pasture reports
Primary Industries and Regions South Australia (PIRSA) publishes a report on the condition of Crops and Pastures in South Australia every second month. During the cropping season estimates of the area and production for each crop and district are also provided with the report. The report is assembled by regionally based consultants. Visit Rural Solutions SA.
The estimates are quality checked from a number of sources. Occasionally adjustments are made. The table in the current report has the updated estimates which may vary slightly from tables in previous year's reports on this site.
- A dry June across South Australia further delayed seeding in the western and central parts of the state.
- Crops in the Mallee and South East generally established well but the dry and frosty June slowed growth.
- Farmers in the west and central areas waited until July for adequate rains to continue seeding.
- The July rains were too late for some farmers and they did not complete seeding their intended crop area or replaced longer growing season crops like canola and pulses with the shorter season crop barley.
- Crop area sown is estimated at 3.6 million hectares – smallest crop since 2001 – but with later seeding during July this may be reviewed up.
- Crop production is estimated at 6.4 million tonnes – lowest since 2008–09.
- Pasture growth is slow, farmers are selling excess stock and feeding retained stock with stored grain and hay – with around 20% of farmer confinement feeding.
Crop reporting districts map
Crop estimates for a season are provided commencing with the Seeding and Crop Establishment Report. Estimates are based on the districts defined in the following map.
2017-18 season reports
2016-17 season reports
- 2016-17 Harvest Summary - March 2017 ()
- 2016-17 Harvest Summary - January 2017 ()
- 2016-17 Spring Crop Performance ()
- 2016-17 Winter Crop Performance ()
- 2016-17 Crop Establishment ()
- 2016-17 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
2015-16 season reports
- 2015-16 Summary and Final Estimates ()
- 2015-16 Harvest Summary ()
- 2015-16 Spring Crop Performance ()
- 2015-16 Winter Crop Performance ()
- 2015-16 Seeding Intentions and Crop Establishment ()
- 2015-16 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
2014-15 season reports
- 2014-15 Crop performance summary and final crop estimates ()
- 2014-15 Harvest Summary ()
- 2014-15 Spring Crop Performance ()
- 2014-15 Winter Crop Performance ()
- 2014-15 Crop Establishment ()
- 2014-15 Crop Seeding Intentions ()
See more agricultural reports and newsletters.
- 2013-14 Final Summary and Estimates ()
- 2013-14 Harvest ()
- 2013-14 Spring Crop Performance ()
- 2013-14 Winter Crop Performance ()
- 2013-14 Seeding and Crop Establishment ()
- 2013-14 Seeding Intentions ()
- 2012-13 Final Summary and Estimates ()
- 2012-13 Harvest ()
- 2012-13 Spring Crop Performance ()
- 2012-13 Winter Crop Performance ()
- 2012-13 Seeding and Crop Establishment ()
- 2012-13 Seeding Intentions ()
For historical reports contact:
Grains Account Manager, Agriculture Food and Wine Division
Phone: 8429 0472
Mobile: 0409 289 107