Bushfire information for primary producers
Below is information about how farming and livestock industries can:
- reduce bushfire risk
- better handle bushfires
- recover from bushfires.
More information on assistance for those affected by the Pinery Fires.
Reducing bushfire risk
The Farming guidelines for the reduction of bushfire risk give farmers instructions on how to manage and reduce the bushfire risk. Another good resource is the Risk management for stock owners in times of fire and flood.
Download the Farming guidelines for the reduction of bushfire risk ( or ).
The Grain Harvesting Code of Practice explains:
- legislative requirements
- required practices
- recommended practices
when harvesting any flammable crops.
Download the Grain harvesting code of practice ( or )
The Risk Management for Stock Owners in Times of Fire and Flood document on the NSW Department of Primary Industries website has more information about how to manage stock before, during, and after bushfires.
The Livestock safety during bushfires check sheet ( or ) advises livestock owners how to manage livestock before, during, and after bushfires.
We have created the Recovery after bushfires list of considerations for landholder when restoring agricultural land and properties after bushfires.
You can also download these fact sheets:
We may provide assistance to farmers and producers affected by bushfires.
We can help:
- assess burnt livestock
- advise on how to access veterinary services
- assist with euthanasia of severely burned livestock on welfare grounds
- locate livestock
- inspect livestock
- provide advice on disposal options for deceased livestock
- coordinate emergency fodder, water and fencing through Primary Producers SA
- coordinate recovery measures.
Call your local Biosecurity SA office if you need assistance recovering from a bushfire.
- Clare: (08) 8842 6222
- Glenside: (08) 8207 7900
- Kingscote: (08) 8553 4949
- Mount Gambier: (08) 8735 1300
- Murray Bridge: (08) 8539 2112
- Nuriootpa: (08) 8568 6400
- Port Augusta: (08) 8648 5160
- Port Lincoln: (08) 8688 3400
- Struan: (08) 8762 9100