This page has information to help primary producers to recover from storms.
Primary producer grants
Disaster recovery grants of up to $10,000 are available to eligible South Australian primary producers affected by the spring storms.
Disaster assistance will be available to eligible primary producers in the 24 council areas of Adelaide Hills, Adelaide Plains, Barossa, Barunga West, Berri Barmera, Clare and Gilbert Valleys, Cleve, Coorong, Elliston, Gawler, Karoonda East Murray, Light, Loxton Waikerie, Mid Murray, Mount Barker, Murray Bridge, Playford, Port Pirie, Renmark Paringa, Salisbury, Tea Tree Gully, Tumby Bay, Wakefield and Yorke Peninsula.
Tell us how the recent storms affected you
Please complete this important online survey to tell us about your property and crop damage from the recent storms. This will help us work with industry to plan the best path to recovery with you.
Your information will be kept private.
If you need an interpreter to help you do this survey, call 1800 280 203 (choose option 2), Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, and tell them you wish to do the storm survey.
You need to complete the survey before applying for a primary producer recovery grant.
Northern Adelaide Plains waste removal
The state government is coordinating waste removal on the Northern Adelaide Plains. From November 2021 to February 2022 you can:
- get free skip bins for your property, so your storm waste is removed for free
- take waste yourself to the NAWMA Bellchambers Road transfer station for free.
Find out more about getting help with waste removal.
Resources for cleanup
Learn more about:
- Personal protective equipment
- Slips, trips & falls (particularly working at heights)
- Demolition work
- Notifying SafeWork of a workplace incident.
- Managing disease in wet conditions – Australian Wine Research Institute, 12 November 2021
- Managing vines after hail: webinar and key resources – Australian Wine Research Institute, 9 November 2021
- Advice for growers dealing with hail damage – Australian Wine Research Institute, 29 October 2021
- Recovery from hail damage – Horticulture Industry Networks
- Hail and severe storms (PDF 3.69 KB) – NSW DPI grapevine management guide 2019 –20
- How to recover and manage hail damage – Fruit Growers Victoria
- Recovery from hail damage for stone fruit trees – Agriculture Victoria
- Hail damage and your apple orchard – NSW DPI
The Recovery Hotline is available for primary producers who have been affected by the recent storms.
The hotline connects you with experienced staff who can talk to you about your situation and answer questions about support services available.
Recovery Hotline: 1800 931 314
Operating hours: 9 am to 5 pm Monday to Friday.
Family and Business Support Program (FaBS)
The Family and Business Support Program (FaBS) is a group of people ready to help you during difficult situations like the recent storms.
There is a FaBS team member in every region.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to start, contact FaBS for support.
Rural Financial Counselling
Rural Financial Counselling, through Rural Business Support, provides free, independent and confidential support to farmers and rural-related business owners concerned about their financial future.
Call Rural Financial Counselling on 1800 836 211.
Local government disaster recovery assistance arrangements
The Department of Treasury and Finance administers Disaster Recovery Assistance for local governments and agencies after an eligible natural disaster.
Current flood and storm information is available on the State Emergency Service website.