There are a number of books and publications that have historical importance which have been scanned and made accessible below.
These are historical documents therefore they are only supplied in PDF format. If you require a text version please email us at email@example.com.
Department of Agriculture (1984)
Department of Agriculture Committees Directory
Produced in 1984, this publication lists the range of committees, the terms of reference, and membership of all national or state committees that the Department was involved with.
Guerin, Caroline (1988)
History of the Agricultural Bureau of SA
This substantial review of the Bureau movement was produced for the Centenary of the Bureau in 1988. The document has been divided into sections due to the size of the publication.
- Introduction ()
- Chapter One – The First Ten Years ()
- Chapter Two – The New Century ()
- Chapter Three – Prosperity and Depression ()
- Chapter Four – Another War and Boom Times ()
- Chapter Five – An Era of Specialisation ()
- Chapter Six – The Eighties and Beyond ()
- Appendix ()
- Bibilography ()
Love, John (1987)
A History of the Department of Agriculture
This is one of the first attempts to capture the history of agriculture in SA and the role played by the Department of Agriculture in key areas. Information has been extracted from this document to other articles in this website.
Newland, NP (1971)
Vermin Control in South Australia
Prepared while part of the Vermin control Branch of the Department of Lands, this document provides a historical account of efforts to control animals defined as vermin. It provides a summary of legislation passed by the SA Parliament between 1852 and 1946.
Pearson, Frank B
History of Yorke Peninsula
This article covers the development of Yorke Peninsula from the period of pre settlement of the state until the early 1900s. It describes the districts and leading farmers of Yorke Peninsula, along with the difficulties they experienced and their successes, particular the innovations developed to make agriculture profitable and sustainable. After settlement, Yorke Peninsula was primarily a pastoral region. In the latter half of the 1800s it transitioned to cropping, integrated with animal production.
Frank Pearson was appointed to the Department immediately after World War 1, moved through positions of District Agricultural Advisor to Chief Agronomist, before retiring in mid 1960s. The article is likely to have been written early in Frank's career with the Department.
Smith, Clarence H (around 1940)
Farm and Station Implements Manufactured by Clarence H Smith
The Clarence H Smith Implement Works were based at Ardrossan on Yorke Peninsular, and manufactured a wide range of cultivation equipment. The document on farm and station equipment is in the form of a prospectus. Smith is best known as the inventor of the stump-jump plough.
Summers, WL (1908)
Notes on Agriculture in SA
This document is the brochure prepared for general information and presentation at the Franco-British Exhibition. It provides a general view of conditions and proposals in South Australian agriculture in 1908. It gives a fair indication that agriculture was flourishing and, for example, lists export values for wheat at £2,152,842.
Winterbottom, DC (1922)
Weevil in wheat and storage of grain in bags
This report to the South Australian Wheat Harvest Board and the Victorian Wheat Commission records the Australian experience in managing the storage of grain during the war period - 1915 to 1919. Graphic evidence is shown of the damage done by mice to large bagged grain across the states.
Yelland, Leith (2012)
Holding the Line: A history of the South Australian Dog Fence Board, 1947–2012
"Holding the Line" describes the history of the Dog Fence Board and was commissioned to mark the centenary of the Federation of South Australia. This history records the impact of dingos on the State's sheep industry and the measures undertaken by pastoralists and government to mitigate these impacts.
Legislation to assist in the control of dingos and wild dogs was passed in 1894 and the Dog Fence Board established in 1947 following proclamation of the Dog Fence Act in 1946.