Education and extension
Developing an agriculture-based economy in South Australia required some practical and theoretical education of farmers over time. This need led to the formation of the Agricultural Bureau (link opens in new window) with branches in many of the outlying rural communities. The Bureau's charter was to look after the needs of the people and their livelihoods in these areas and to help develop agriculture. From the beginnings of the Bureau in 1888 came the formation of the Department of Agriculture in 1902. Information was disseminated to the farming community through annual rural shows, field days, exhibitions, reports and publications.
C. Guerin, One Hundred Years on the Land – the history of the Agricultural Bureau of South Australia
In 1875 a parliamentary enquiry recommended to the colonial government that a Professor of Agriculture, acquainted with analytical chemistry, physiology and other sciences bearing on agriculture, should be attached to the University of Adelaide (which had been established the previous year). Classes for students were to be held and agricultural schools be established. The wheels turned slowly and in 1882 the University established Roseworthy Agricultural College (link opens in new window) near Gawler north of Adelaide.
See also the Research & Innovation section of this website.
J.W. Reddin, Teamwork: some early history concerning the South Australian wine industry and the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society of South Australia
C. Kerr & M. Kerr, Royal Show: A history of the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society of South Australia
McCarter, J. "Reaping the Fruits of 50 Years" article, page 21. The Advertiser Saturday Review 2nd October 1976.
- Advertiser News article spotlighting the major role that the agricultural advisors of the South Australian Department of Agriculture had during the 1970's, in helping South Australian farmers to develop farming systems, that were proclaimed as the world's best, for producing food and fibres, from semi arid lands.