Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) personnel and collaborators must apply for animal ethics approval if their work includes animal interventions beyond routine animal husbandry procedures.
- decide if you need to lodge an application
- compile your application.
Before you start your application, ensure you are familiar with the:
- Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes
- principles for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes.
Deadlines for application submissions
If you miss a submission deadline, we will hold your application until the next round.
- Email your application to us at PIRSA.AnimalEthics@sa.gov.au
- You may also post additional signed copies to us.
- 4 February 2019
- 25 March 2019
- 3 June 2019
- 29 July 2019
- 25 September 2019
- 25 November 2019
- 26 February 2019
- 16 April 2019
- 25 June 2019
- 20 August 2019
- 17 October 2019
- 17 December 2019
In line with PIRSA policy on service cost recovery, an application fee applies to each submission the PIRSA AEC reviews.
Fees for 2019/2020 effective from 1 July 2019:
- Internal (PIRSA/SARDI) $420
- External bodies (universities, private companies, etc) $630 +GST
- Download the animal ethics approval and clearance application form from the DEW website.
- Payment Advice Form ( or )
The PIRSA AEC will only review complete applications that provide them with sufficient information to make a decision.
Please include the following documents and information in your submission to the PIRSA AEC:
- A completed application form signed by all parties.
- A completed Payment Advice Form.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Word format if possible.
If you have any questions about the PIRSA AEC please contact us:
PIRSA Animal Ethics Committee
JS Davies Building, Roseworthy Campus, SA 5371
Phone: (08) 8313 7665
Fax: (08) 8313 7689