The Aboriginal Partnerships Unit (APU) is a dedicated, central point of contact providing leadership and strategic advice on Aboriginal engagement across Primary Industries and Regions SA. We encourage and support Aboriginal engagement, employment and economic development outcomes throughout PIRSA, aligned with the aspirations of Aboriginal people.
The APU provides specialist consultancy services to capture and deliver on opportunities for Aboriginal South Australians to participate in primary industries. Some examples of projects supported by the unit, include:
- The North West Indigenous Pastoral Project.
- The SA River Murray Sustainability Program.
- Developing and implementing PIRSA's Reconciliation Action Plan ().
- The National Cultural Flows Research Project, which worked to secure a future where Aboriginal water allocations are embedded within Australia's water planning and management regimes.
- PIRSA’s Aboriginal Scholarship program, in partnership with University of Adelaide, which was awarded to four Aboriginal students.
- First Steps Program, a training program designed to support Aboriginal people to gain and retain employment. Under First Steps, PIRSA provided entry-level positions and workplace experience across PIRSA, with mentoring and support to identify and pursue ongoing career development.
As a central contact point across PIRSA, the APU provides support and specialist consultancy services to identify and capture new opportunities for Aboriginal South Australians to participate in primary industries. We also provide advice and support across the agency to in order to help create opportunities for Aboriginal partnerships and economic participation in all elements of PIRSA’s everyday business.
Our services include: project management, collaborative research partnerships, developing business cases and business plans and the delivery of culturally respectful engagement and facilitation services. We regularly provide Aboriginal cultural awareness training to staff across the agency, proudly delivered in partnership with leading Aboriginal cultural trainers from South Australia.
For more information or to discuss Aboriginal engagement opportunities please contact us:
Phone: (08) 8429 0436
Mobile: 0476 809 930