Travelling across a pastoral lease

Public access

You can travel over certain areas of pastoral leases without permission from the pastoral lease holder (lessee). These permitted routes are called 'public access routes'.

To travel on other tracks on a pastoral lease, permission from the lessee must be obtained.

There are currently 24 public access routes - spanning more than 650 kilometres - established on pastoral leases in South Australia.

Locations of public access routes (PDF 182.1 KB)

Contact a lessee

To access other areas within a pastoral lease you will need permission from the lessee. To find lessee contact details you can:

Access rights for Aboriginal persons

Aboriginal persons may enter, travel across, or stay on a pastoral lease for the purpose of following traditional pursuits.

There are some restrictions on where Aboriginal persons may camp on a pastoral lease.

If an Indigenous Land Use Agreements (ILUA) exists, the agreement may change the rights of access.

Indigenous Land Use Agreements (ILUAs)

An ILUA is a voluntary but binding agreement between a native title group and landholders, about the use of land and waters.

These agreements allow all parties to negotiate terms to suit their circumstances.

Detailed ILUA information can be found on the National Native Title Tribunal website where you can:

  • learn more about ILUAs
  • search for existing ILUAs
  • apply for an ILUA.

More information


Access rights to pastoral land:
Phone (08) 8648 5346

General enquiries

Pastoral Unit
Phone: (08) 8429 0333

Page Last Reviewed: 07 Feb 2019
Top of page