The following advice and resources are for grape growers and tree fruit growers who have been impacted by the Cudlee Creek fire on December 20 2019.
PIRSA’s 24-hour Bushfire hotline: 1800 255 556
Call PIRSA's bushfire hotline for assistance in the assessment of agricultural impacts and fire damage.
Cudlee Creek fire Local Recovery Coordinator
Alex Zimmermann has been appointed as the Local Recovery Coordinator in response to the Cudlee Creek fire.
For information about support and recovery services available to those affected by this fire:
- visit the Cudlee Creek disaster recovery page on the Department for Human Services website
- call the recovery hotline on 1800 302 787.
Rural business support and financial counselling
Any primary producers and small related agriculture business owners who are experiencing financial difficulties or who have concerns about the financial impacts of the Cudlee Creek fire can access the Rural Financial Counselling Service by calling:
- Rural Business Support on 1800 836 211 (freecall)
This service provides free confidential and impartial business support and information. It is also able to provide support in the application process for:
- Farm Household Allowance
- Farm Management Deposits.
- Regional Investment Corporation Loans
- Farm Debt Mediation
In South Australia, the program is delivered through Rural Business Support.
Family and Business Support Program
Mental health and wellbeing support for bushfire affected farmers, families and small businesses is available through the Family and Business Support (FaBs) program.
To access support you can:
- phone the 24-hotline 1800 255 556
- email PIRSA.Recovery@sa.gov.au;
People in the Adelaide Hills can contact FaBS Mentor Colleen White directly on: 0409 388 649
For assistance with legal issues arising from loss of documents from fire:
- call the Legal Services Commission on 1300 366 424, Monday to Friday 9.00 am - 4.30 pm
The legal services commission will also provide legal information, advice and referrals. Visit the Legal Services Commission website.
Apple and Pear Growers Association of South Australia
To be kept up to date on issues facing apple and pear growers contact the Apple and Pear Growers of South Australia:
- phone (08) 8389 8453
- visit their website at https://apgasa.com/contact-us
Adelaide Hills Wine Region Inc.
Adelaide Hills Wine Region (AHWR) membership is open to wine producers and grape growers that contribute to the Adelaide Hills Wine Industry Fund and other businesses. For more information:
- phone 1300 305 577
- visit their website at https://www.adelaidehillswine.com.au/
Cherry Growers Association of South Australia
Visit the Cherry Growers Association of South Australia website.
Grower information - recovering vineyards and orchards after a fire
The following is a range of information provided to horticulturists and viticulturists that could help with the recovery of their orchards and vineyards.
The following organisations and businesses presented at the Industry Recovery meeting on 2 January 2020. This information is provided without endorsement. Contact details for the information suppliers are provided.
Australian Wine Research Institute
- The AWRI has a free and confidential helpdesk service available to grape growers and winemakers who require advice on technical issues. Contact the AWRI helpdesk:
phone (08) 8313 6600
AWRI Smoke taint assessment:
- The AWRI offer a range of services to assess levels of smoke taint prior to harvest.
The University of Adelaide
The University of Adelaide Associate Professor, Cassandra Collins presented on a paper she co-authored ‘An observational study into the recovery of grapevines following a bushfire ()’.
To access the University of Adelaide’s grapevine analysis services, please visit the University of Adelaide website.
James Hook from DJs Growers can help with analysis of burnt trees and vines as well as supply satellite imagery and mapping of damages blocks. For more information:
- phone DJs Growers (08) 8389 7022
- visit their website at https://www.djsgrowers.com.au
Mt Bera Vineyards
Greg Horner from Mt Bera Vineyards presented on his experience in regenerating his Gumeracha vineyard following the Sampson Flat fire. Contact Greg directly for advice and a chat by:
- phone 0416 112 344
- email email@example.com
Paul James from the Lenswood Co-op is offering one on one technical advice to tree fruit growers through Lenswood Co-op which can be accessed by:
- phone (08) 8189 6223
- email or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find some useful information co-published by Paul regarding the recovery from fire damage in fruit orchards here.
- Fire damage in fruit orchards (Agriculture Victoria website)
- Recovering after bushfire
- Post bushfire advice for viticulture and horticulture producers