PIRSA recovery hotline 1800 931 314

Support available after a bushfire

If you’re feeling overwhelmed, call PIRSA on 1800 931 314.

A person will talk with you about the issues you’re now facing and will help you find the support you need.

Financial support

Grants and financial assistance

Grants are available to help bushfire-affected primary producers in South Australia recover and get back to business.

Learn more about the primary producer bushfire recovery grant.

Other grants and financial assistance are available. Check the grants and assistance section on the Department for Human Services website.

Rural Financial Counselling Service

The service provided through Rural Business Support gives free advice to primary producers. Call them on 1800 836 211.

National Debt Helpline

Call the helpline on 1800 007 007 for free, independent and confidential advice from a financial counsellor.

Mental health support

It’s common to feel a range of emotions after a bushfire. Feeling grief, shock, anger, anxiety and depressed after going through a disaster can happen immediately but sometimes there’s a delay.

Australian Psychological Society (APS)

APS has free recovery information for people affected by bushfires.


Call Lifeline if you’re having difficulty coping: 13 11 14.

Regional Access

Regional Access offers free professional telephone and online counselling 24 hours a day, seven days a week for people 15 years and older living or working in regional South Australia.

Call 1300 032 186.

Country SA services

If you have some time, take a look at the services available for people living in country South Australia.

Family and Business Support Program (FaBS)

The Family and Business Support Program (FaBS) is a group of people ready to help you during difficult situations like drought, bushfire and other adverse events.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to start, contact FaBS for support.

What the FaBS team are about

All FaBS team members are:

  • independent
  • confidential
  • from a variety of regional business and agricultural backgrounds
  • experienced in dealing with emergency situations.

What our FaBS do

FaBS provide free, informal advice on what to do next.

FaBS are an experienced team of professionals who will listen and help you find ways to manage the situation. Team members work closely with service providers and can help connect you to services, including:

  • financial counselling
  • local health networks
  • emotional wellbeing and counselling services
  • government and non-government assistance
  • community organisations and donations.

COVID-19 update

FaBS services are still operating during the COVID-19 crisis. FaBS team members are practicing social distancing rules by providing consultations via phone or video conference. This service continues to be free for farmers and small businesses impacted by drought, bushfire and other adverse events.

FaBS for bushfire recovery

FaBS case managers are available to help primary producers, their families and small business affected by bushfire.

To connect with a FaBS bushfire case manager, you can contact the PIRSA Recovery team, or call a case manager directly.

PIRSA Recovery Hotline: 1800 931 314
Email: PIRSA.Recovery@sa.gov.au

Adelaide Hills

  • Glyn Scott: 0438 899 787
  • Colleen White: 0409 388 649

Kangaroo Island

  • Roslyn Willson: 0427 531 200
  • Tracie Heinrich: 0427 596 107

Other Bushfire Case Managers

  • Robyn Cain: 0411 633 085
  • Steve Whillas: 0458 852 268

Legal advice

Free legal advice is available for those affected by disaster.

Urgent advice

Call Legal Services Commission on 1300 366 424. They are open on weekdays between 9am and 4.30pm.

Non-urgent advice

The Law Society has a register of lawyers who volunteer to provide free legal assistance. Email disaster.planning@lawsocietysa.asn.au

Support for people with disabilities

If you need more accessible information about bushfires, the National Disability Insurance Agency has an easy read bushfire support document.

National Relay Service (NRS)

If you’re deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impairment, contact the National Relay Service:

Page Last Reviewed: 24 Mar 2020
Top of page