Asian black-spined toad
Terrestrial species not currently found in South Australia.
The Asian black-spined toad is not known to be established in Australia but is frequently intercepted at the border. It has greater tolerance to cold than cane toads.
Declared species under the Natural Resources Management Act 2004. It may not be held, traded or released in South Australia without specific authorisation.
Report any Asian black-spined toad to National Pest Alert Hotline (Freecall): 1800 084 881.
What to look for:
- stocky toad with small head and short hind limbs
- black tipped, hooked toes on front limbs
- generally yellow-brown or reddish brown streaks and spots
- back covered in pimple like warts and are usually capped with distinctive spines
- prominent black ridge over each eye, which meet at the nose.
For more information read the Asian black-spined toad factsheet ()