Recreational fishers in South Australia are reminded to remove their Rock Lobster pots as part of the annual closure for Rock Lobster fishing, which will begin at 6 pm on Friday 31 May.
The closure is part of the sustainable management arrangements for the Rock Lobster fishery.
The annual closure bans all recreational Rock Lobster fishing activity in South Australian waters and will stay in place in the Southern Zone until 6 am on 1 October and in the Northern Zone until midday on 1 November.
Rock Lobster pots must be removed from the water once the closure comes into effect.
Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) Fisheries and Aquaculture Executive Director, Sean Sloan, said the annual closure helps maintain a healthy lobster population.
“These closures protect the long-term sustainability of the Rock Lobster fishery and ensure the recreational fishery operates within its allocated share of the resource,” Mr Sloan said.
“Make sure you do the right thing and ensure you comply with the rules of the closure.
“Our Fisheries Officers will continue to conduct patrols in coastal waters throughout the closed season.
“If Rock Lobster pots are found in the water during the closed season the owners risk being fined and having their pots seized.”
The most recent South Australian Recreational Fishing Survey revealed more than 100,000 Southern Rock Lobster had been caught during the survey period – demonstrating the species continues to be a popular target for recreational fishers.
Suspicious or illegal fishing behaviour can be reported to the 24-hour Fishwatch number on 1800 065 022. Callers can choose to remain anonymous.