Cereal root diseases cost grain growers in excess of $200 million a year in lost production. Much of this can be prevented.
PREDICTA B (B = broadacre) is a DNA-based soil testing service to assist grain producers to identify which soil-borne pathogens pose a significant risk to their crops prior to seeding so steps can be taken to minimise risk of yield loss.
It is critical to use the correct soil sampling protocol. Download these guides to learn more about sampling protocol:
PREDICTA B north
Access PREDICTA B testing service
Growers can access PREDICTA B through a SARDI accredited agronomist. They will organise sampling, interpret the results and give advice on management options to reduce your risk of yield loss.
SARDI Molecular Diagnostic Centre processes PREDICTA B samples weekly between February to mid-May prior to crops being sown. Samples are processed less frequently throughout the rest of the year .
Contact Nigel Percy for accredited consultants near you.
PREDICTA B certification courses
At least one accreditation course (one day) is delivered in each cropping region between late October to early December in most years.
Venues are announced in September.
To register interest in attending a course contact Nigel Percy.
Completing the course will enable consultants to:
- deliver PREDICTA B to their clients
- download the latest e-version of the Broadacre soilborne disease manual.
Contact Dr Alan McKay for more information.
PREDICTA B maps
The maps below show PREDICTA B sample results mapped to the nearest town. The area of the circle is proportional to the number of samples mapped to the town.
The pie within each circle represents the proportion of samples falling into each category:
- Below detection
Disease risk maps
- Australia Blackspot map 2017 ()
- Australia CCN map 2017 ()
- Australia Crown rot total map 2017 ()
- Australia F culmorum_graminearum map 2017 ()
- Australia P neglectus map 2017 ()
- Australia P penetrans map 2017 ()
- Australia P quasitereoides map 2017 ()
- Australia P thornei map 2017 ()
- Australia Phoma Koolunga map 2017 ()
- Australia Rhizoctonia Ag8 map 2017 ()
- Australia Stem nematode map 2017 ()
- Australia Take all map 2017 ()
- Australia Take all oat race map 2017 ()
Population density maps
- Australia Ascochyta blight map 2017 ()
- Australia Bipolaris map 2017 ()
- Australia Charcoal rot map 2017 ()
- Australia Eyespot map 2017 ()
- Australia Phytophthora medicaginis map 2017 ()
- Australia Pythium clade f map 2017 ()
- Australia Yellow leaf spot map 2017 ()
Dr Alan McKay
Research Leader, Soil Biology and Diagnostics
Phone: (08) 8303 9375
Sample kits, sample tracking, course registration of interest:
Phone: 0401 122 115
Phone: (08) 8303 9665
SARDI Molecular Diagnostics Group
Plant Research Centre
2B Hartley Grove
Urrbrae SA 5064