Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) personnel and collaborators must apply for animal ethics approval if their work includes animal interventions beyond routine animal husbandry procedures.
- decide if you need to lodge an application
- compile your application.
Before you start your application, ensure you are familiar with the:
- Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes.
- Principles for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes.
Deadlines for application submissions
If you miss a submission deadline, we will hold your application until the next round.
- Send your application to us electronically via email.
- You may also post additional signed copies to us.
- 26 January 2018
- 30 March 2018
- 1 June 2018
- 27 July 2018
- 21 September 2018
- 23 November 2018
- 16 February 2018
- 20 April 2018
- 22 June 2018
- 17 August 2018
- 12 October 2018
- 14 December 2018
In line with PIRSA policy on service cost recovery, an application fee applies to each submission the PIRSA AEC reviews.
We recommend that you factor this fee into your project’s operating costs.
Fees are accurate from 1 January 2018:
- Internal (PIRSA/SARDI) $400
- External bodies (universities, private companies, etc.) $600.00 +GST
- Download the animal ethics approval and clearance application form from the DEW website.
- Payment Advice Form ( or )
The PIRSA AEC will only review complete applications that provide them with sufficient information to make a decision.
Please include the following documents and information in your submission to the PIRSA AEC:
- A completed application form signed by all parties
- A completed Payment Advice Form
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Word format if possible.
If you have any questions about the PIRSA AEC please contact us:
PIRSA Animal Ethics Committee
JS Davies Building, Roseworthy Campus, SA 5371
Phone: (08) 8313 7665
Fax: (08) 8313 7689