Regions SA supports the portfolio responsibilities of Minister for Regional Development, Geoff Brock, and focuses on implementing the new Charter for Stronger Regional Policy committed to Minister Brock by Premier Jay Weatherill.
The agreements between Minister Brock and the Premier detail a number of actions committed to by the State Government for regional South Australia, and includes additional support to be provided to communities, projects and programs.
The regional development package of initiatives is worth $39 million in 2014-15 and $29 million per annum thereafter.
The $39 million includes:
- $10 million as a once-off Jobs Accelerator Fund in 2014–15, directed at regional development opportunities
- $13.4 million per annum increase to the Regional Development Fund
- $15.5 million per annum drawn from existing resources across government.
The Charter for Stronger Regional Policy sets out a number of opportunities for regional communities to interact with the government, and provides for a greater focus on regional South Australia in government decisions through a variety of regional engagement processes, including:
- the reintroduction of three Country Cabinet meetings in regions each year
- at least one state parliamentary forum in a regional area per year
- the requirement that at least one minister spend a day each week in a regional area
- holding at least three Senior Management Council meetings in regions each year
- a dedicated GovChat program that will enable regional South Australians to discuss issues directly with the Premier, ministers and chief executives.