Wine industry fund contributions
Reminder notice - vintage contributions due
The 2016 vintage contributions for the South Australian Wine Industry Funds are to be paid to PIRSA by 30 June 2016.
Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) administers funds established under the Primary Industries Funding Schemes Act (SA) 1989 and makes payment to a body representing the fund contributors.
Depending on the fund contributions are payable by:
- grower of wine grapes
- winemakers who grows wine gapes
- winemaker who purchases grapes from a grower for processing into wine
- winemaker who grows their own grapes.
South Australian grape growers (not including winemakers who grow grapes) are required to contribute to the SA Grape Growers Industry Fund.
When to pay
Contributions are due to be paid to PIRSA 30 June each year.
How contributions are paid
Depending on the fund, these contributions are payable:
Wine grape growers
Grape grower contributions are collected by a winemaker and paid by the winemaker to PIRSA.
The winemaker is entitled to deduct the grape grower contributions from its payment to a grape grower.
Depending on the fund, winemakers pay a contribution based on one of the following:
- The processing of their grapes and other persons grapes from a particular wine region
- Grapes grown by the winemaker.
Grape growers making wine under contract
- Are deemed to be a winemaker and must pay the winemaker contribution and deduct the grape grower contribution on any grapes they purchase.
Wineries in other states
- Pay the grower contribution.
- Pay the winemaker contribution to receive services or benefits funded by payments from the fund.
2016 Contribution amounts by region
- Grower: $6.50 per tonne.
- Winemaker Processing of Adelaide Hills grapes grown by a person other than the winemaker: $6.50 per tonne.
- Grower and winemaker of grapes: $13.00 per tonne.
- Grower: $8.00 per tonne.
- Winemaker processing of Barossa grapes grown by a person other than the winemaker: $7.00 per tonne.
- Grower and winemaker of grapes: $7.00 per tonne.
- Grower: $4.00 per tonne.
- Winemaker processing: n/a
- Grower and winemaker of grapes:
- Up to 500 tonnes - $2.00 per tonne
- 500 to 1,000 tonnes - $1.00 per tonne
- 1,000 to 3,000 tonnes - $0.75 per tonne
- In excess of 3,000 tonnes - $0.50 per tonne
- Grower: $5.30 per tonne.
- Winemaker processing of Langhorne Creek grapes grown by a person other than the winemaker: $3.70 per tonne.
- Grower and winemaker of grapes: $9.00 per tonne.
- Grower: $7.90 per tonne.
- Winemaker processing of McLaren Vale grapes grown by a person other than the winemaker: $10.50 per tonne.
- Grower and winemaker of grapes: $10.50 per tonne.
- Grower: 0.5% of amount payable to grower for delivered grapes.
- Winemaker: $0.35 per tonne on Riverland grapes grown by another person and processed by the winemaker.
- Grower and winemaker of grapes: $1.35 per tonne.
SA Grape Growers Fund (in addition to regional fund contributions)
Grower: $1.00 per tonne
* Winemakers who grow Clare grapes contribute on a cumulative, sliding scale. For example, a winemaker growing 600 tonnes of Clare region grapes would pay (500 x $2.00) + (100 x $1.00) = $1,100.
Barossa Wine Industry Fund: Contributions are capped at $48,000 in respect of contributions payable by a winemaker or a grape grower.
McLaren Vale and Langhorne Creek Wine Industry Fund: Contributions are capped at $30,000 in respect of contributions payable by a winemaker or a grape grower.
- Adelaide Hills contribution form ( or )
- Barossa contribution form ( or )
- Clare Valley contribution form ( or )
- Langhorne Creek contribution form ( or )
- McLaren Vale contribution form ( or )
- Riverland contribution form ( or )
- SA Grape Growers contributions ( or )
Growers and winemakers must contribute to the funds but you can ask for a refund by 30 May in the same year the contributions are paid.
You cannot access benefits or services funded by payments from a fund for 2 years if you get a refund.
Senior Policy Officer
Phone: (08) 8429 0468