Mid North Forests - Future Strategy
Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) is working closely with stakeholders to determine a way forward for the Mid North Forests following devastating bushfires in recent years. The South Australian Government's approach is outlined in the Mid North Forests Future Strategy.
The Bangor bushfire burnt 1,776 hectares of commercial plantations at Wirrabara in January 2014. This fire followed the February 2013 Bundaleer fire, where 427 hectares of commercial plantations were lost.
In January 2016 the Government began a Request for Proposal (RFP) process. This closed on 11 March 2016 and 38 binding Proposals relating to potential future use of the Mid North Forest Reserves were received.
Final purchase negotiations
Commercial-in-confidence negotiations to finalise a range of proposals for the future use of the Mid North forests has now commenced.
- continued commercial forestry involving potential new private owners of the forests
- significant private investment for new and expanded agricultural and tourism enterprises
- ownership of sports grounds and principal recreation areas at Bundaleer being transferred to Bundaleer Sport and Recreation Association
- a new tourist accommodation business at Wirrabara
- grazing and firewood enterprises at Yarcowie and Leighton forests.
High conservation value areas of native vegetation and key recreational sites at Wirrabara will be transferred to the State’s reserve system.
Final details of the first of four successful proposals will be announced soon. Negotiations to finalise the more complex proposals will occur during the remainder of 2016.
The future use of the majority of the Mid North Forest estate will be fully concluded by the end of 2016.
Until all arrangements are finalised, ForestrySA will continue the management of the Mid North Forest estate, including maintaining its fire management effort throughout the forthcoming fire season.
- Mid North Forests - Future Strategy ()
- Mid North Region maps, crop potential maps and livestock potential maps
- Bundaleer Forest maps
- Wirrabara Forest maps
- More than 150 hectares replanted in Bundaleer Forest - 7 July 2016
- Request for Proposals for the Mid North Forest Region - 27 January 2016
- Next stage in Mid North Forest strategy to commence in January 2016 - 23 December 2015
- Wide range of options proposed for Mid North Forests - 8 September 2015
- Mid North Forests Expression of Interest released - 4 August 2015
- Further replanting to take place at Bundaleer Forest - 25 March 2015
- Focus on management of SA's Mid North forests - 23 January 2015
- Mid North Forest Productivity Maps now available - 17 December 2014
Mr Rob Robinson, Director, Forestry, PIRSA