All permitted devices that are left unattended must be marked with a tag. In some cases a buoy is required.
Hand held devices like rods and handlines do not need to be marked.
All registered devices must be marked with a tag that shows the:
- registered owner’s name
- registration number.
Note: Rock lobster pots only require registration number on tags.
All tags must:
- be durable and non-corrodible in water
- clearly display the marks required by regulations in letters and figures not less than 20mm in height
- be made of a material that is durable in water
- be 10 cm x 5 cm in size.
The following devices do not need a tag if the person responsible for it is within 50 metres at all times:
- hand held devices
- drop nets set from the shore
- yabby pots set from the shore.
Some devices must be marked with a buoy.
- be made of material that is durable in water
- clearly display the marks required by regulations in letters and figures not less than 70mm in height
- float on the surface of water
- have a volume that is not less than
- 4 litres with a 20 cm in diameter if used it marine water
- 2 litres with a 15 to 20 cm diameter if used in the River Murray, Lakes, and Coorong
- be the correct colour for the device it is attached to.
See the permitted devices page to see what devices must be marked with a buoy.