There are restrictions on the number and types of recreational fishing gear you can use.
It is the fisher’s responsibility to be aware of the regulations that apply to their method of fishing. Check that all of the fishing gear you use meet legal specifications.
Fishing gear that is not compliant may be seized and forfeited.
Fishing gear requirements
Before fishing with anything other than a rod or handline you must check:
- that you are allowed to use it for fishing
- how many of each kind can be used at one time
- that the gear conforms to legal specifications
- whether the gear must be registered
- whether the gear must be marked with buoys and tags.
Registering your fishing gear
The following fishing gear must be registered before use:
- rock lobster pots
- mesh nets in Lakes Albert and Alexandrina
- mesh nets in Lake George
- mesh nets in the Coorong.
Marking your fishing gear
Some fishing gear must also be marked with a tag and/or buoy.