Have your say on artisan on-farm meat processing on Kangaroo Island
We are calling on the Kangaroo Island community to give feedback on proposed regulations to allow artisan meat processing to occur on the Island.
Submissions will be open until 5.00 pm on 30 November 2018.
Regulations for meat processing and meat handling businesses
All meat processing and handling businesses must comply with food safety arrangements in the Meat Scheme ( or ).
The Primary Produce (Food Safety Schemes) (Meat) Regulations 2017 is also referred to as the Meat Scheme.
Meat businesses that require accreditation
You require accreditation if your business is involved in:
- Growing poultry.
- Killing, flaying and dressing of animals.
- Killing and dressing of birds.
- Killing and processing of game animals in the field.
- Boning out and/or further processing of meat and poultry.
- Manufacturing of smallgoods.
- Storing of meat and/or meat product in chillers or freezers.
- Transportation of meat and/or meat products.
Accreditation is not required if you have one of the following businesses:
- Retail businesses that sell meat in the same pack in which it was received.
- Businesses that slice and cut ready to eat meats for retail sale.
- Businesses that process meat, where the processing occurs in the preparation of meals, for sale to consumers, whether or not the meal is consumed on the premises.
- Restaurants, hotels, delis, cafes, lunch bars, takeaways and roadhouses where meat is prepared as part of a meal for customers or paying guests.
Download the Meat processing accreditation fact sheet () for more information.
How to apply for accreditation
Use the following forms to:
- apply for accreditation
- notify when a business changes hands
- notify that a business has relocated.
Accreditation annual fees
Annual fee includes:
- administration fee - $222, plus
- activity-based points system - $112 per point.
Food safety general enquiries
Phone: (08) 8429 0837
South Australian Shellfish Quality Assurance Program (SASQAP) enquiries
Program Leader SASQAP
Phone: (08) 8688 3409
- Accreditation requirements for wild game field harvesting ()
- Australian Standards for meat hygiene
- Guidelines for the safe manufacture of smallgoods 2nd edition ()
- Illegal processing and sale of meat ()
- Listeria control regulatory guidelines ()
- Meat Hygiene Unit Compliance Policy ( or )
- Meat Transport Vehicle - HACCP Manual Log Book ( or )
- Safe Meat Transport ( or )