Dairy production is regulated by the Dairy Authority of South Australia under the Primary Produce (Food Safety Schemes) (Dairy Industry) Regulations 2005.
Accreditation is required with the Dairy Authority of South Australia if you are involved in:
- dairy farming for milk production, whether with cows, sheep or goats.
- transportation of raw (unpasteurised and unpackaged) milk
- processing of milk into products that milk makes up more than 50%
- further processing milk products for sale such as yoghurt or ice cream.
Accreditation does not apply to:
- retail establishments unless they are also manufacturing for sale
- retail transportation of milk products that are already packaged.
The Department of Health and local government authorities manage selling and transport of processed milk.
Apply for accreditation
Phone the Dairy Authority of South Australia if you need to apply for accreditation.
Annual accreditation fees
- Large dairy processors: 0.0474 cents/litre.
- Small processors (<1m litres): $575/annum.
- Dairies delivering to large processors: 0.0497 cents/litre.
Contact details for Dairy Authority of South Australia
Dairy Authority of South Australia
33 Hutt Street
Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: (08) 8223 2277
Fax: (08) 8232 2463