List of Operational Centres

Operational Centres of the Department of Agriculture in South Australia

Source: Governmental records including Annual reports of the Department of Agriculture of SA and Parliamentary Papers of SA as well a personal communications.

LOCATIONSTART YEAREND YEARTYPE OF CENTREFUNCTIONNOTES
Adelaide1902ongoingHead officeAfter 1902 various city locations including the Education Building; in 1950 first autonomous head office established Simpson's Building 133 Gawler Place, Adelaide, renamed Agricultural Building; in 1974 relocated AMP Building 25 Grenfell Street, Adelaide.Subsequently Department has used a number of different offices for housing separate divisions
Adelaide IMVS1910ongoingResearch & DiagnosticCommenced operations as the SA Government Laboratory of Pathology and Bacteriology and rebranded as the Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science in 1935.  In 1982 the Veterinary Division was transferred to the Department of Agriculture, but remained colocated in Frome Road, and subsequently renamed VetLab.  Staff moved to the Glenside Offices in 1993The South East Regional Veterinary Laboratories were established at Struan in response to the BTEC program.  In 1994 veterinary diagnostic services were outsourced to a provate contractor.
Angaston1910closedOfficeAdviser/inspector of orchards for the Barossa region; operated from home.Date of closure unknown
Balaklava 19591964OfficeAgricultural Adviser for the Lower North regionOffice closed and moved to Kadina
Berri19081968ResearchInvestigations of culture and irrigation requirements of fruit and vegetable and new crops for the river land crops. 
Berri1914C.1990OfficeHorticulture; advisory and regulatory services. 
Blackwood1908C.1970ResearchBlackwood Experimental Orchard was a research orchard for pome and stone fruit culture of the fruit growing areas of the Adelaide Hills; fruit storage and virus investigations of pome fruits and cherries; tomato and potato breeding. 
Booborowie19121933ResearchBooborowie Experimental Farm was a boys training farm; experiments with fat lambs and wheat. 
Cape Borda KIC19801986ResearchLeased property (ex WSLS farmer) for sheep farming investigations.  
Carrieton1909closedResearchDry land farming trials to test viability of farming in low rainfall areas.Date of closure unknown
CedunaC.1940ongoingInspectionRoadside inspection facility for prevention of fruit fly and other plant pest infestations in SA. 
Ceduna19291975OfficeAgricultural adviser and stock inspector. 
Cherry Gardens1910closedOfficeResident inspector of orchards; advisory and regulatory service for the Adelaide Hills; operated from home.Date of closure unknown
ClareC. 1960 ongoing Office The office was originally served by a dairy field officer but later became a regional office for the Mid North and Yorke Peninsula  
Cleve19562010OfficeAdvisory and regulatory functions; dealt with soil erosion, agronomy and animal health advice. 
Cleve

Sims Farm article (pdf 501.6 KB)

The Sims’ Farm Bequest
c. 19601980ResearchA bequeathed estate (Sim's Farm) used for investigations into soil erosion and pastures; the Department later (1980) transferred property to the Education Department. 
Coonawarra1910closedOfficeResident inspector of orchards; advisory and regulatory; operated from home.Date of closure unknown
Dawson1909closedResearchDry land farming trials to test viability of farming in low rainfall areas.Date of closure unknown
Echunga19561985OfficeAnimal health adviser; advisory and regulatory duties. 
Flaxley19852010ResearchDairy husbandry and technology; Northfield Dairy Research Centre dairy activities transferred to Flaxley 1985; served as the Adelaide Hills office after 1990's. 
Flinders Chase19441960ResearchFlinders Chase, Kangaroo Island Ligurian bee project; the Department conducted a Ligurian bee farm for the purpose of supplying pure bred queen bees to Apiarists.Date of closure unknown
Gepps Cross19131999InspectionOffice situated at metropolitan sale yards; regulatory duties; prevent stock diseases. 
GlensideC.1990ongoingHead officeLivestock and animal health branch headquarters and veterinary laboratories.Part of Biosecurity SA, division within PIRSA, 33 Flemington St. Glenside.
Glenside19481980InspectionOperation centre for fruit fly outbreaks; equipment stores.Located at water tower off Greenhill Rd.
Hackney1908closedResearchSee Blackwood experimental orchard for details.Now part of the Botanical Gardens; date of closure unknown
Hammond1909closedResearchDry land farming trials; testing viability of farming in low rainfall areas.Date of closure unknown
Hart1982  Private demonstration site for dryland cereal production.Supported by the Department of Agriculture and CSIRO technical staff.
Jamestown (DOCX 2.2 MB)1928ongoingOfficeDairy; soils; agronomy; advisory centre. 
Kadina1963ongoingOfficeAdvisory centre; agronomy; livestock; inspection. 
Kapunda19541965OfficeSoils advisory service; dairy advice. 
Keith19502010OfficeAdvisory centre; agronomy; livestock; stock inspection. 
KingscoteC.1970ongoingOfficeRegulatory and advisory functions; livestock; pastures; fisheries officer. 
Kybybolite1905ongoingResearchResearch into soil fertility studies, cereal variety trials, testing of new pastures, sheep stocking trials, prime lamb research and dairy; an experimental orchard operated from 1908-1930; remains as an outstation of Struan.Research staff transferred to Struan 1996
LamerooC.19402004OfficeAdvisory; agronomy. 
Lenswood1964ongoingResearchPome fruit; cherries; potatoes; research facility for Adelaide Hills and became a regional office; a new office, laboratory and conference complex was opened on 27th of March 1992. 
Lock19891996OfficeEyre Peninsula Rural Adjustment Plan; agronomy advice. 
Loxton19081913Research600 acres of crown reserve on banks of River Murray, 18 miles from Veitch's Well; set aside as a research farm for dry land cereals. 
Loxton (Veitch)19081930ResearchGrain experiments and dry land farm demonstrations.The centre was also known as Veitch's Well
Loxton (town office)19681995OfficeAdvisory and regulatory functions; agronomy; horticulture; soil erosion; subsequent to regionalisation the office became a regional headquarters for the Murray Lands. 
Loxton1968ongoingResearchEstablished to investigate practices and problems associated with irrigated fruit and vine production; became a regional office when advisory and regulatory functions were transferred to this location when the Loxton town office was closed in 1990. 
Milang19531969ResearchUsed both as a demonstration and research Centre; demonstrated irrigation potential in the Murray Lakes district; pasture species and management. 
Mile EndC.1910C.1980InspectionInspection point for commercial consignments of fruit and plants transported to and from South Australia; fumigation chambers; railway goods yards.Located in railway goods yard
MillicentunknownunknownOfficeDairy; fisheries officer.  
Minburra19111913ResearchDry land farming trials to test viability of farming in low rainfall areas; specifically testing utility under extreme conditions. 
Minnipa1915ongoingResearchOriginally called Eyre Peninsula Experimental Farm; investigations of agricultural and livestock problems of the Central and Western Eyre Peninsula; long term trials designed to measure effects of Medics and superphosphate on cereal yields.It is noted that from 1931 to 1932 the farm was carried on under a share farming agreement in which the share farm utilized the Department plant etc.; agreement concluded in 1940 and the farm was carried on by an overseer until the Department in 1946 appointed Mr. H.R. Day as manager of the farm.
Mt BarkerC.1980closedOfficeAdvisory and regulatory duties for agronomy, livestock and soils.Staff transferred to Flaxley in 1985; date of closure unknown
Mt BarkerunknownongoingOfficeCooperative amalgamation of government agencies relating to water conservation and land use issues in the Mount Lofty Ranges 
Mt Gambier1929ongoingOfficeAdvisory and regulatory services; dairy; animal health; horticulture; soil management; agronomy. 
Mt Remarkable19161921TrainingEstablished as a training farm in dry land practices solely for returned soldiers from WW1.The farm was closed on 1st March 1921 and was ultimately subdivided into small holdings.
Murray Bridge19051911ResearchReclaimed swamp; research into establishing pastures after flood. 
Murray Bridge1929ongoingOfficeAdvisory and regulatory duties; dairy; poultry; agronomy; horticulture; animal health; soils; pigs. 
MypolongaC.1910closedOfficeHorticulture; inspector of fruit; additional duties such as an inspector and valuer for Lands and Survey Department.Date of closure unknown
NaracoorteC.19501973OfficeAdvisory and regulatory duties; animal health including foot rot eradication; animal husbandry; dairy; cereal crops; pastures; seed production;Office moved to Struan House
Neeta1911closedOfficeHorticulture; appointment of an inspector of fruit; additional duties such as an inspector and valuer for Lands and Survey Department.Date of closure unknown
Netherby19351953ResearchCentre for the demonstration of production of fruit major crops; commonly but wrongly called Fullarton Orchard.Now part of Urrbrae Agricultural High School/TAFE
Northfield1961C.1990ResearchMajor Research Laboratories; series of research investigating units; pigs; horticulture; dairy; weeds.Facilities were built on land formerly owned and managed by the Hospitals Department; total area 240 Hectares.
Nuriootpa1937ongoingResearchAlso known as Barossa Viticulture Station; services the wine and grape industry; trials on cultural practices; pest and disease control of vines in non irrigated districts; also services dry land agricultural industries; the District Centre office was originally located here but was moved to a new building at the Research Centre site in 1978. 
Nuriootpa19661978OfficeDistrict centre office for soils advisory service, crops, pastures, dairy and horticulture.Staff moved to Nuriootpa Research Centre.
O'Laddie1909closedResearchDry land framing trials to test viability of farming in low rainfall areas.Date of closure unknown
Oodla-WirraC.1940ongoingInspectionRoadside inspection for prevention of fruit fly and other plant pest infestations in SA. 
Parafield1905C.1990ResearchProduced samples for baking qualities and tested varieties of wheat; later a plant introduction centre where pasture plants were grown and evaluated.The property was formerly a train mortuary
Parafield1911C.1990ResearchDemonstration centre for poultry husbandry; random sample tests for industry research into poultry nutrition; genetics and breeding systems for egg and meat strains; poultry housing design. 
Parndana19541985ResearchAlso known as the Kangaroo Island Research Centre; evolved from the Soldier Settlement Scheme (WW2); emphasis on pasture utilization by sheep; mineral nutrition of pastures; testing of pasture species; livestock research. 
PenolaC.1930unknownResearchEstablished early 1930's; field trials were conducted by the South Eastern Tobacco Grower's Association. 
PinnarooC.1940ongoingInspectionSeasonal roadside inspection for prevention of fruit fly and other plant pest infestations in SA. 
PompootaC.1910closedOfficeHorticulture; appointment of an inspector of fruit; additional duties such as an inspector and valuer for Lands and Survey Department; operated from home.Date of closure unknown
Port AdelaideC.1900C.1980InspectionPrevention of plant and animal pest infestation; inspection; quarantine; vacuum fumigation. 
Prospect19802011InspectionFruit fly headquarters for the operation of the pest eradication unit including state plant quarantine.Moved to 33 Ferguson St. Glenside
Pt Augusta1952ongoingOfficeAdvisory and regulatory functions; livestock; later became regional headquarters for the Northern Region. 
Pt Lincoln1929ongoingOfficeAdvisory and regulatory functions; dairy; agronomy; livestock; C.1980 became the regional headquarters for the Eyre Region. 
Quorn1937closedOfficeRegulatory; advisory; livestock.Date of closure unknown
Renmarkunknown1996OfficeAdvisory and regulatory functions; horticulture. 
Riverton19291969OfficeAdvisory and regulatory functions; agronomy; crop production; poultry husbandry. 
Roseworthy18871902OfficeOriginal head office 1887-1902, prior to formation of the Dept. of Agriculture as a separate entity. 
Roseworthy19882009Information CentreLocated at Roseworthy Agricultural College; a major distribution hub for Department of Agriculture publications. 
RoseworthyC.1990ongoingResearchThe pig and poultry production institute was the first group located there after the closure of the Northfield piggery and Parafield poultry facility; subsequently expanded to include the focus for most animal research when the University of Adelaide and South Australian Research and Development Institute, (SARDI) relocated their livestock research and teaching capability to the site in C.1990. 
Shannon1910closedResearchDry land farming trials to test viability of farming in low rainfall areas.Date of closure unknown
Streaky Bay19292010OfficeAdvisory; dry land cereals crops; animal husbandry.Date of closure unknown
Struan1948ongoingResearchIn 1948 developed for cattle and sheep trials; in 1973 the Struan district office was located at Struan house; in 1977 became SE Regional headquarters; there was a significant laboratory established during the Brucellosis and Tuberculosis eradication campaign; expanded to accommodate staff transferred from Kybybolite 1996. 
Swanport19271929ResearchIrrigation; pasture development for the dairy industry. 
Turretfield1909ongoingResearchInitially developed as a dairy and stud farm but converted to investigating cereal, seeds and livestock production; investigation into weeds and pest animal control; soil conservation; early tillage machinery development. 
Undalya1946C.1960Home officeApiaries; advisory and regulatory functions. 
Urrbrae (Waite)1924ongoingResearchMultiple Agricultural research and learning programs for State and National institutions. 
Victor Harbor19862011OfficePastures; advisory and regulatory functions; crops. 
Virginia19782010OfficeAdvisory service; research; other services to horticulture industries on the Adelaide plains.Office space was leased in the Virginia Horticulture Centre from 1996 onwards.
Waikerie19101996OfficeHorticulture; advisory and regulatory functions.  
Wanbi1946C.1990ResearchIn 1946 the leasehold was surrendered to the crown as a conservation reserve and subsequently became a research centre to combat soil erosion as sand drift was a grave problem in the Mallee area; cattle, cereal and fertiliser studies were also conducted. 
Willalooka1952C.1960ResearchA 500 acre (202.35 hectare) block, located in the Hundred of Willalooka (near Keith), was sown in 1949 by the Lands Department to test the economics of land development in the area. 
Wirrabara1905C.1950OfficeInspector and advisory services to orchards; shared office accommodation with Department of Woods and Forests. 
Wudinna19962010OfficeCentre for the Eyre Peninsula Rural Adjustment Plan; agronomy advice. 
Yamba1957ongoingInspectionFirst 24 hour road block established; roadside inspection for prevention of fruit fly and other plant pest infestations in SA.