In December 1840 “An Act to Regulate the Slaughtering and Prevention of Stealing of Cattle was passed”. It provided for the licensing of slaughterhouses, appointment of ‘Inspectors of slaughter-houses and of brands’, the creation of a Cattle Registry Office (to register brands) and the inspection of butchers’ shambles (slaughterhouses) to ensure cleanliness.(Pastoral Pioneers of South Australia Vol 1 & 2, Publishers Limited, Adelaide, (1925)) Later inspection of facilities and meat was managed by local government until overseas exports commenced and contaminated shipments eventuated, particularly to the USA. With the lifting of import duties to the USA in 1948, shipments rapidly expanded due to our disease free status. However boning operations and storage facilities were not up to standard, along with inspection requirements. The USA responded with ever increasing hygiene standards which Australian abattoirs had to conform to, adding to the cost of exporting. All export works and meat were inspected by the Commonwealth Government while local country slaughter houses were still inspected by individual local government health inspectors. However their meat was only to be sold in the local area.  
Top of page